Sanitation: Trash & Recycling
Bulk / Metal / Items Containing Freon /County Hazardous Waste Collection Information
- Residents are allowed up to 2 bulk items per week with their normal trash collection. Box springs and mattress are required to be wrapped in plastic or they will not be collected.
- Televisions, computers, or pianos are not collected. Television in working conditions are accepted by the Salvation Army at:
66 Chester Pike Collingdale, PA 19023 Phone: 610-461-9102
Alternatively, tlevisions are accepted by the Community Action Agency of Delaware County. To schedule a pickup or drop off call 610-874-8451
- Items containing Freon must pay a $10 fee and be scheduled for pick up. To schedule a pick up please call 610-623-7300.
- Large metal items must also be scheduled for pick up. They also can be scheduled by calling 610-623-7300
- TV'S- The Borough of Lansdowne does not pickup Television sets of any kind.
These items all go in together:
- (Soda/Juice/Water Bottles, Milk Jugs, Bleach/Detergent, Shampoo Bottles)
- Cardboard/Brown Paper Bags
- Food containers, baby bottles, disposable cups
- Glass Bottles/Jars (any color)
- Junk Mail/Envelopes (all types)
- Metal Cans (tin/steel/aluminum)
- Newspapers, Magazines, Catalogs
- Paper (all colors, staples/paperclips are okay)
- Paperboard (cereal boxes - remove plastic liner, beer and soda carriers)
- Plastic narrow neck bottles numbered Number 1-2
- Plastics Number 1, Number 2, Number 4, Number 5, Number 7
- Telephone/Soft Cover Books
What not to include:
- No Dishes, No Pyrex, No Ceramics
- No Foam Packaging, No Styrofoam
- No Number 3 (PVC-juice bottles, PVC piping) and Number 6* (PS-styrofoam, such as egg cartons)
- No Recyclables Containing Food Waste
- No Unmarked Plastics (laundry baskets/chairs/toys)
- No Windows/Light Bulbs
Commercial Recycling Information
All apartments, condominiums, and businesses are required to recycle.
- Remove/drain liquid from trash. To prevent the accumulation of liquid in containers drill holes into the bottom of each container.
- Units of trash shall never exceed 40 pounds.
- Broken glass, syringes, and other sharp objects must be disposed of in containers which are designed to insulate from contact with sanitation staff.
- Animal feces and diapers must be disposed of in water-tight plastic bags.
Brush & Tree Trimmings
- Tree trimmings, hedge clippings, and other bundled material shall not exceed three feet in length and not exceed two feet in diameter.
- Tree trimmings, branches, and similar materials shall not be placed in a trash container. Do not mix trash and yard waste on yard waste collection days. Such material will not be collected.
- All containers shall have a watertight lid and be of such type that they shall securely contain its contents and may be easily handled by one employee.
- All refuse containers shall be maintained in good condition, it must not have ragged or sharp edges. Trash in poorly conditioned containers will not be collected.
- Trash containers shall be metal or of substantial plastic construction. Plastic disposal bags are acceptable.
- The Borough may restrict the use of plastic bags when a pattern of rodent activity is experienced. In such cases, the Borough may direct the use of metal or substantial plastic containers, with tight lids to terminate the activity.
- It shall be unlawful for any person other than the occupants of the premises upon which the refuse containers are maintained or employees of the Borough to remove covers, containers, or contents of refuse containers placed for collection.
Televisions will not be collected by Lansdowne Borough. As of August 2018, the Salvation Army will accept televisions in working condition at:
66 Chester Pike
Collingdale, PA 19023
Alternatively, contact the Community Action Agency of Delaware County to schedule a pickup or drop off at 610-874-8451
- Any unauthorized accumulation of the following on any residential or non-residential premises is deemed to be a nuisance and is prohibited:
- Bulk waste
- Sanitation staff will not risk damaging vehicles and other obstructions in the pathway between the location of trash containers and the sanitation truck and if such obstructions are present trash will not be collected.
- A clear path free of snow and ice must be provided for our employees to pass or residents should bring containers to the curb line.